humble dust mite is everywhere where you can expect people to spend a lot of time – bedding, clothes, upholstered furniture, and, to a lesser extent, carpeting. That’s because they simply love to eat our skin – or more specifically, flakes of skin cells that we shed daily. This would be a wonderfully symbiotic relationship if they didn’t have to poop. Unfortunately, their faeces cause allergies in people. Allergic symptoms include itchy and watery eyes, itchy nose, sneezing, coughing, wheezing and dry, itchy skin. Sounds a lot like the common cold or flu, doesn’t it? Well, if you notice these symptoms whenever you encounter dust, you should find out if you are allergic to dust mites with a skin prick test or a blood test, conducted by an allergy specialist.
Smite The Mighty Mite
Your bed is the ideal spot for dust mites because it is cozy and comfortable, and there are a multitude of nooks and crannies in which to hide – not that they need to. These tiny creatures will thrive wherever there is abundant food, moisture, and warmth.
Serve them an eviction notice by:
- Placing a plastic dust mite cover around your mattress, pillows and bolsters
- Washing all sheets, blankets, and pillowcases in hot water at 90°C at least every other week
- Replacing your pillows and bedding yearly
- Choosing a latex mattress, as latex is naturally resistant because of their density and hypoallergenic makeup
- Removing unnecessary objects from the walls, ceilings, and on your bookshelves
- Keeping stuffed animals to a minimum, or washing them in hot water every week
- Letting your pet sleep in another room, and run a wet cloth over your pet’s fur each day to remove any loose hair
- Doing away with carpets or rugs as they will trap dust mites and pet dander
- Filtering indoor air with a HEPA-certified air filter
- Storing unused bedding in vacuum sealed airtight bags
- Closing up your windows. Incoming air may contain even more dust mites, carried along with pollen, another potent allergen
- Steam cleaning all your carpets and curtains, if they are not easily washable
- Using lightweight curtains or roller shades instead of cloth curtains
- Dusting first, before vacuuming after an interval. Dusting allows particles that contain dust mites to settle on the floor so that you can suck them up with the vacuum. Wipe clean with a sponge or damp cloth afterwards.
Lastly, don’t forget to clean out the filters on your vacuum and air filters regularly!
Resistance Isn’t Futile -- By Jennifer Ho
Now you can stop “rearranging the dirt” and enjoy a truly dust and allergen-free environment with Philips Mite Cleaning Vacuum Cleaner. While conventional vacuums merely stir up and release dust plus other allergens from fabric and soft-furnishing, the high speed vibrating pads (3600rpm), 450w motor and EPA 12 Filters of the Philips Mite Cleaning Vacuum do a thorough job of locating, capturing, and filtering out the microscopic nasties that have always been lurking in “plain sight” effectively.
Using the Philips Mite Cleaning Vacuum Cleaner to sweep-through what I otherwise thought of as a “clean” home, revealed the horror of a thoroughly clogged and grey filter. But that was unfounded as it could be swiftly removed for easy cleaning. With dual-action power from a HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter and UV lighting for its germicidal properties, this handheld and highly portable Philips Mite Cleaning Vacuum Cleaner has proven to be the passport to reducing allergic-triggers in the house, found especially in the “hidden minefields” of soft toys, bedding and soft furnishing (rugs, carpets, sofas etc.). Not forgetting your furry friends, too!
After using it twice weekly for a month, alternating among the 3 different vacuum modes to suit specific surface needs (silky-haired teddy bear, anyone?), my household of chronic sinusitis-sufferers found ourselves waking up to clearer heads and unblocked noses, which was an unprecedented, near-miracle! Surely anything that can help start our days on a clearer and more energetic note is good.
Best of all, the cleaner fabrics and material in the house has noticeably reduced presence of dust build-up in the home! I no longer have to hold my breath in whenever I plop myself down after a long day of work.