Are you ready to turn up the heat this summer? These workouts will help whip your body into bikini shape without needing to step out of the house! BY RASHMI ULLAS & JENNIFER HO
Think Cameron Diaz’s legs, Beyonce’s butt, Jennifer Aniston’s waist and Angelina Jolie’s bust.Wow booty, toned thighs and killer curves of tinsel town can also be yours with these flab-toning workouts!
1 WARRIOR III POSE
Works butt, core and legs
- Stand up tall with your feet together, toes pointing forward.
- Slowly lift the left leg from the hips; keep the toes pointing out.
- Balance your body weight onto the standing right leg.
- Your head should be slightly turned up to face forward while being aligned with your torso and toes.
- Keep your arms by your sides parallel to the raised thigh.
- Engage your core and keep the back straight, without locking the right knee.
- Hold for a few breaths and return to standing positing in slow, controlled movements.
- Repeat with the other leg.
2 INVERTED BUTTERFLY LEAPS
Works butt, calves and thighs
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart.
- Bend forwards from the hip, placing palms shoulder-width apart on the floor.
- You could place the elbows on the floor (as shown in the picture) or stretch the hands straight.
- Lift your feet and stretch as far up as you can on your toes.
- Your body should form an inverted V and the energy should be concentrated on your core.
- You will feel your calves and hamstrings stretching.
- Hold the position for as long as you can, then drop your soles slowly and return to standing position.
3 SIDE CRUNCH
Works lower back, butt, obliques and thighs
- Kneel on the floor and lean all the way over to your right side, placing your right palm on the floor.
- Slowly extend your left leg and point your toes while keeping your weight balanced.
- Place your left hand behind your head, pointing your elbow towards the ceiling.
- Slowly lift your left leg to hip height as you extend your left arm above your leg with your palm facing forward.
- Look out over your hand while doing that and bring your ribcage towards your hip.
- Lower to your start position and repeat 6 to 8 times before switching sides.
Works butt and legs
- Stand tall with feet hips-width apart.
- Lunge forward with your left leg so that your left knee is aligned to your left foot (don’t jut the knee over the foot).
- Push down your right knee as close to the ground as possible.
- Hold for a few second and return to standing position.
- Repeat about 10 times on each side.
5 SUMO SQUATS
Works the butt and thighs
- Start by standing with your feet in a wide stance and your toes pointed to a 45 degrees angle.
- Keep the back straight and bend your knees while sticking your butt back like you’re sitting down.
- Squat down so your thighs are parallel to the ground or until you feel the stretch on your inner thighs.
- Hold for a few seconds and come back to standing position.
- Repeat 10 times in 3 sets.
- For a more intense workout, you could pulse for 10 times in the squat position.
6 SQUATS WITH A TWIST
Works the thighs, butt, oblique, shoulders and chest
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and extend your arms in front of you at shoulder height.
- Squat down, ensure your knees are bent at 90 degrees (or as close to 90 degrees as possible), and twist your upper body to the left.
- Twist back to start position before coming up.
- Repeat the exercise but now twist to the right.
- Keep your weight in your heels and don’t allow your knees to jut forward beyond your toes.
- Keep your knees facing forward as your chest and shoulders move side to side.
7 Half-Moon Rotation
Works biceps, triceps and shoulders
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, arms straight out to the sides at shoulder-height, fingers together and palms down.
- Rotate thumbs back until your palms face up.
- Rotate back to start position.
- Do 30 reps, keeping your arms lifted.
8 Triangle Push-ups
Works the chest, abs, lower back muscles and underarms
- Kneel on all fours and place your hands under your shoulder on the floor.
- Bring your hands together, forming a triangle with your thumbs and forefingers.
- Extend your feet behind you and lift onto your toes.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles. Don’t sag your back or hips during the push-up.
- Slowly lower your upper body towards the floor, bending and flaring your elbows as you descend. Stop before your chest touches the floor.
- Push through your arms and lift your body to the start position.
- Complete 12 to 15 good repetitions.
- For beginners, you can drop to your knees to make the push-ups easier.
9 PIVOTING CURTSY LUNGE
Works the inner and outer thighs
- Stand tall with feet hips-width apart
- Lunge backwards and diagonally across with your right foot at a 7 o'clock position.
- The weight should be balanced on both your knees.
- Pulse up and down for 10-15 times.
- Straighten up and take a big step in front with your right foot before lowering into a standard lunge.
- Repeat the same on the left side. You can do up to three sets.